2016 Bivouac and National Cavalry Competition
September 20 - 25, 2016
2015, 2014 and 2012 Champion
|*A portion of the proceeds will benefit the US Cavalry Association|
Please register by August 20, 2016 to help us with our planning.
Registration Forms and Information
|Sep 20||Pre-competition clinics
|Sep 21 - 24||National Cavalry Competition
|Sep 25||Worship service|
Regional Cavalry Competitions
Fort Concho, Texas, April 20-24, 2016 - Results
NCC News Articles
- Fort Hood Sentinel: Horse Cav wins at US Cav Nationals 1-Oct-15
- U.S. Army: First Team's horse detachment maneuvers past competition 30-Sep-15
- Schriever Sentinel: 50 OSS commander garners cavalry competition gold 5-Nov-14
- U.S. Army: Riding the Major Howze Mobility Exercise with a Blackhorse veteran 24-Oct-14
- Dvids: Cavalry Troopers win big at national competition, 8-Oct-14
- U.S. Army: Field Artillery Half Section competes to keep equine skills sharp 2-Oct-14
- Schriever Sentinel: Schriever horseman earns honors at cavalry competition 10-Oct-12
- News OK: Fort Reno events test cavalry skills, 4-Oct-11
- San Angelo Standard Times: Extensive media coverage of the 2010 NCC in San Angelo, TX
- National Cavalry Competition 2010, CAVHOOAH Oct-10
- California Guardsman wins National Cavalry Competition 13-Nov-09
- First Team's Horse Cavalry Det. competes nationally 21-Oct-09
- Ten troopers of the 1st Infantry Division Commanding General's Mounted Color Guard
excel at the 2009 National Cavalry Competition 8-Oct-09
- Color guard wins at competition, Colorado Springs Military Newspaper Group
- 11th ACR Horse Detachment rides home victorious 9-Oct-09
- 11th ACR Horse Detachment Prepares for National Cavalry Competition 9-Sep-09
NCC selected "Best Horse Competition Out West" by True West magazine!
The U.S. Cavalry Association is pleased to sponsor the National Cavalry Competition, held in September each year in conjunction with our Annual Bivouac. We try to keep the locations in the center of the country, to make it fair to both the east and west coast riders. We also try and hold the competitions in historical areas.
The U.S. Cavalry Association sponsors these competitions to promote good horsemanship and to provide an opportunity for reenactors, active and reserve military mounted color guards, and mounted police officers to compete and improve their riding skills.
The National Cavalry Competition is open to all who are interested in promoting our cause, to keep the Cavalry spirit alive.
Individual riding classes include Mounted Saber, Mounted Pistol, Military Horsemanship, and Military Field Jumping. There are 3 levels in each class. Level I is for beginners. Level II is for the novice rider and Level III is for advanced riders. Ribbons are awarded for each class and level. Silver trophies are awarded to first place winners in each class and level.
There are also competitions for Combat Horsemanship, Trumpet Competition, Authenticity, and the Major Howze team mobility event.
The Authenticity categories include Mexican War (1846-48), Civil War, Union and Confederate (1861-65), Plains Indian Campaigns (1870-79), Southwest Campaigns (1880-1889), Spanish-American War (1898), Sam Browne Belt Army (1904-44), and U. S. Constabulary (1945 -49).
Plaques are also awarded for the outstanding horse at the competition and for the outstanding Active Duty Military Unit participating.
Winners of Level III individual events are invited to compete in the Bolte Cup, a test of the combination of skills. A Silver Trophy is awarded to the winner.
The Overall Winner in Level III who accumulates the most points is awarded a silver cup and his name is added to the Bronze Trophy displayed in the U.S. Cavalry Memorial Research Library.
Past National Cavalry Competition results:
- 2015 Scores (PDF) 2015 Photo Album: http://bit.ly/ncc2015photos
- 2014 Scores (PDF) 2014 Photo Album: http://bit.ly/ncc2014album
- 2013 - Not Held
- 2012 Scores (PDF)
- 2011 Scores (PDF)
- 2010 Scores (PDF)
- 2009 Scores (PDF)
- 2008 Scores (PDF)
- 2007 Scores (PDF)
- 2006 Scores (PDF)
- 2005 Scores (PDF)
- 2004 Scores (PDF)
- 2003 Scores (PDF)